You might be wondering, “Is it safe for me to ride an exercise bike when I am pregnant?”
Is it beneficial or even safe to do exercise on an exercise bike during pregnancy?
Does it involve any risks?
You might be searching for the answers to these questions and maybe worried about doing exercise during pregnancy owing to certain complications.
So, let’s have a look and find out if it is good or bad for women to do exercise when they are expecting.
Exercising When Pregnant
Most women do not engage themselves in any physical or fitness activity when they are expecting. This is usually down to the worry about certain complications that may arise by exercising during pregnancy.
However, the reverse is actually true. Studies have found that women who are active and indulge themselves in healthy activities during their pregnancy are less likely to develop any birth complications.
Is it Safe to Ride a Stationary Bike During Pregnancy?
Doctors usually advise exercising during pregnancy as it comes with several health benefits for both i.e., the mom and the baby. They suggest that a stationary bike is one of the safest fitness equipment for expecting mothers. It is user-friendly and comes with minimal chances of falling and causing an injury.
As per a research conducted by the American Pregnancy Association, “Riding a stationary bike during pregnancy is safe and is free of any harms.” When compared with a regular bike, there are fewer chances of falling on a stationary bike because it helps to support your weight and maintains your balance correctly”.
However, it is always advised to consult your doctor before starting any exercise or fitness activity during pregnancy. Ask him to let you know about all the precautionary measures that you should take to make your training safe.
7 Key Benefits of Riding a Stationary Bike During Pregnancy
Exercising during pregnancy comes up with several health benefits that are associated with both i.e., mother and the baby. Let’s discuss a few of these benefits:
1. Exercising on a Stationary Bike is Good for the Health of Mom as well as the baby
Riding an exercise bike during pregnancy is best for the health of the mom and the baby. It helps you to maintain a healthy weight.
Pregnant women often gain weight during the period. Weight gain should be monitored carefully. Otherwise, it may lead to severe diseases like diabetes.
That’s where an exercise bike plays its role and helps in maintaining your weight without putting you and your baby in any danger.
2. Exercising on a Bike Boosts Your Energy Levels
Exercising on a stationary bike during pregnancy increases your energy levels and reduces the impact of pain.
You may think it’s the opposite as your exercising and have a greater energy output, however, simply keeping your body active and moving actually helps to provide that much needed energy boost when pregnant!
3. It Helps to Fight with Depression
It helps to prevent depression and get rid of the stress associated with pregnancy. Certain endorphins are also produced during exercise, which makes women happier.
These endorphins trigger a positive feeling in the body – giving you a sense of euphoria.
Hence, exercise helps to boosts your mood.
What’s also great is that any of these ‘feel good endorphins’ are also transmitted through to baby!
4. Exercising on a Stationary Bike Reduces the Discomfort During Pregnancy
Exercising eases discomfort that women usually complain about during their pregnancy, such as nausea, fatigue, and back pain.
Keeping your body busy by doing simple exercises on a stationary bike can improve blood circulation and may ease the discomfort.
By keeping an active routine, you’re allowing your body to stretch naturally – this helps your muscles become more relaxed and your joints having greater fluidity to them.
In turn, this combats any niggles or points of pressure that are causing discomfort.
5. Exercising Improves Your Sleeping Habits
Exercising on a bike during pregnancy can also improve your sleeping habits hence keeping you active and smart.
How it does this is by providing a more deep restful sleep.
This sleep is called REM or Rapid Eye Movement.
It’s a specific sleep phase we tend to fall under when the body is fully resting and basically in the phase of dreaming.
Exercising allows your body, more specifically your brain, to release certain hormones such as melatonin to aid more restful sleep.
6. It Helps to Avoid Certain Complications
It helps to prevent complications such as gestational diabetes pre-eclampsia or Hypertension.
Data from the North Carolina Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System seen that gestational hypertensive complications are less likely in women who are physically active before and during pregnancy.
Exercising on a bike during pregnancy also helps to prepare your mind to fulfil the demand for labour and birth.
7. It Maintains Your Blood Sugar Levels
If you have diabetes during pregnancy, exercise can also help you to maintain blood sugar levels.
You see exercising helps the body become more sensitive to insulin that your pancreas creates.
This is what’s going to help regulate your blood sugar levels.
It’s advised that around 30 minutes of moderate intensity for 4-5 days a week is great at keeping you healthy but keeping your blood sugar levels on an even keel.
Which Is The Best Type Of Exercise Bike To Use During Pregnancy?
While choosing the best exercise bike to use during pregnancy, consider these following factors;
- Choose the one that has a comfortable and fully-adjustable seat.
- Look for a recumbent bike that has a cushioned back and pedals in the front especially in case you are suffering from back pain.
- Also, it would be best to choose a bike that comes with a heart rate display monitor so that you can monitor any abnormalities while exercising
- Another factor to take into consideration when choosing a bike is that it’s stable, sturdy and strong.
You can check out my post on the Best Exercise Bikes (this includes the best recumbents also!)
What Safety Precautions Should I keep in Mind While Exercising During Pregnancy?
While doing exercise during pregnancy, you must take the following safety precautionary measures so that you can keep your workout safe and free from any danger.
- Drink plenty of water before starting and after completing your exercise to avoid dehydration
- Do not wear tight clothes and take deep breaths while exercising
- Stretch before starting exercise on your bike so that you can get prevented from any injury or strain on your muscles
- Do not go hard or intense on your exercise, instead go smooth and stop exercising as soon as you get exhausted
What Issues To Consider While Riding a Stationary Bike During Pregnancy
If you feel any side effects during exercise, instantly stop the workout and call your doctor.
Just always try and read your body. Know when you’ve had enough.
Now, just with any type of exercise when your pregnant there can be some abnormalities or discontinuities that you may experience.
If you feel any symptoms such as:
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Shortness of Breath
Stop the exercise straight away and consult your doctor at once.
If you experience any light headedness or shortness of breath – take big deep breaths and ask someone to get you a glass of water!
So, just to recap
- The exercise bike is a perfectly safe peice of fitness equipment you can use and does not come with any harm for pregnant women.
- It’s advisable that expectant women should exercise on a stationary bike.
- Something that is low impact and has a very low risk of injury.
- Using an exercise bike is incredibly beneficial for the health of the mom as well as the baby.
- A stationary bike is a completely safe exercise for pregnant women as it helps in reducing stress, boosting the mood, maintaining sugar levels, easing the discomfort, maintain the shape and health of your body, and much more.
Hence, a stationary bike is the best investment of time as well as money for pregnant women.
If you do have any questions, please don’t hesitate in getting back to me!