Confused about which fitness tracking to wear or which fitness app to use for your next ride?
With new apps and their updates being published every other day, it’s very natural to be overwhelmed.
The perfect app for you should be the one that suits all your needs. With new indoor cycling tracking devices, you can not only track your activity but also customize them as per your requirements.
So, let me welcome you to the wide selection of the best ways you can track your indoor cycling.
This article is a complete guide that would give you all the information about indoor cycling tracking devices.
This is one of the best tracking apps. FitBit is designed mainly to track your steps. So, for activities that are not step-based, you need to manually track them. Another way is just to log in to the activities later.
To track indoor cycling on your device, go to “Exercise” and then select “Spinning”. Then, long-press the shortcut to start and tap on it once you are done. Fitbit will record all the data related to your heart rate, speed, calories burnt, and duration.
Keep in mind that FitBit Alta does not have the option to track your activity manually. It automatically tracks all your activities. Also, there is no option to add spinning on the shortcuts.
Here are the steps to be followed to track your indoor cycling through the FitBit dashboard:
- Log into your FitBit account. Click on “Log” and select “Activities”.
- Type “Spinning” in the search field. Enter the starting time and the duration of your activity.
- The app will calculate the calories you have burnt and fill it in. Click “Log” once again. You will be able to see and edit your activity in the “Activity History”.
The app is available for iOS and Android.
It is completely free but you should have a compatible Garmin device to go with it.
This app links your mobile to the Garmin GPS device that lets you share data.
As you connect your mobile device with Garmin, you are all set to track different aspects of your ride, and that too in the forms of charts, maps, and graphs.
While you continue your ride, the app will provide you with weather updates and notifications.
- For tracking your indoor cycling, visit Settings in your Garmin device and go to sensor menu.
- Swipe right. Select “Add New”.
- Swipe right once more. Then, choose “Cadence”. Now, you have to search and find out the sensor.
- As you find it, open it. Then, add your wheel size.
- After completing this, visit the main menu and select your activity as “Indoor Cycling”.
- Finally, place the watch on your bike. Begin pedalling and tap on “Start”.
If you’re interested in what I use for my indoor cycling, check out my recommended gear page.
Map My Ride
This is one of the best tracking devices that gives you an unforgettable experience each time you work out.
The MapMyRide app provides you with detailed information about your ride including the duration, speed, distance covered, and the calories burnt.
You can explore, create new routes, and also save your progress for the next time.
It can monitor your heart rate and set your daily personal goal based on your performance and fitness level with ease.
As you keep cycling, the app records a collection of data that involves your speed, distance covered as well as a detailed route map.
If you want to have a detailed analysis of your workout, you can also upload this data to the online website and share it with other riders.
To track your rides on the app, use a USB drive to save your riding results.
- Choose “Import Workout” for a detailed analysis and store your training efforts.
- When you are on this screen, select “Import Data”.
- Following this, click on “Choose File” and then save the file on your USB drive or computer.
- Add a name to the file and see your results. You will see data about your cadence, speed as well as power.
Due to you actually going ‘nowhere’ – elevation is not available as you’re not exactly going over ‘real hills’.
However, it does pull your power, speed, and cadence data which are completely available for analysis.
It’s a great way to keep up your ‘outdoor cycling’ if the worst of weather is outside.
The Strava app comes with live tracking, personalized training plans, and detailed fitness analysis.
This is a free app available for iOS and Android.
It helps you to track your ride statistics which include the total time, your speed, and the distance covered.
For a more detailed view of your training, you can opt for Strava Summit. You will also receive personalized training plans daily that would enhance your fitness.
The app divides your entire activity into certain segments.
You need to follow some steps to track your indoor rides.
- Login into the official Strava website with your login credentials.
- Once you have logged in, locate a small icon with a plus symbol and circle around it on the top right-side corner of your screen. Hover over it and choose “Add Manual Entry.”
- Remember to select the “Indoor Cycling” tag. This tag is not available on Android and iOS.
- Enter your data manually.
- If you wish to add a new bike, click on the tab “New Bike”. Enter details about the bike including its type, brand, weight, and model.
- Click on “Save Bike” to save your bike details. You can also attach a picture of your new bike.
Zwift offers free riding, group rides, races, structured, and group workouts.
It is available for Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, and Apple TV.
It provides an online virtual platform where you can ride through actual routes.
In this app, you have five virtual worlds to choose from. While some worlds are imaginary, some are designed based on real locations. Watopia is their biggest and most popular world.
Here are the steps to track:
- Visit the Zwift website and create your profile.
- Download Zwift on your computer and the app on your phone.
- Set up the bike on the smart trainer.
- Connect the smart trainer to Zwift. Make sure that your smart trainer and Zwift are paired.
- Next, open Zwift on your device and pair it with your smart trainer.
- If you are using a heart monitor, you need to pair it also.
- In case you are using a speed and/or cadence sensor in place of a smart trainer, pair it too.
- Click on “OK” and you are good to go.
TrainerRoad offers an assortment of power-based cycling workouts with triathlon plans.
It is compatible with Android, Mac, iOS, and Windows.
The TSS chart gives you an idea about how much stress will help you in accomplishing your goal and how much you are currently doing.
You can also track key metrics and measure your records to understand that the training is being effective for you.
This app will break down all training stress and you can access all the information.
The app will also provide FTP and weight updates that will keep you focused on your fitness goals. You can view the TSS every day in an easy-to-use calendar.
Follow these steps:
- Visit the official website and create your account.
- Create a custom training plan using Plan Builder.
- Next choose between Outside, Indoor, and Group Workout.
- If you want to use Garmin or a Wahoo device, go to the calendar and click on any workout.
- Select “Outside”/ “Inside”/ “Group” and “Save”.
- Your workout will be sent to your device.
This app is a popular one and has been constantly releasing new updates.
It is compatible with Mac, Windows, and iOS.
It is the only app that lets you go beyond cycling and explore additional workouts in the form of yoga, strength, toughness training, etc.
A subscription to The Sufferfest gives you access to their huge library of structured workout videos.
The Four-Dimensional Power platform enables you to align your target with your power profile and fitness level.
Before starting any workout, you will have complete knowledge regarding the cadence, power, and heart rate that you have to achieve in the workout.
You can have a look at your workout statistics to analyze your performance and track your progress.
The app provides complete data including heart rate, power data, and cadence.
The steps to track are:
- Visit their website and create your account.
- Download the official app on your computer and smartphone.
- Find your Bluetooth-enabled devices or ANT and get connected.
- Log into your account with the credentials.
- Complete an FTP test and enter your results. All your intervals will be based on this.
- You can see a number defining your goal in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Complete your 4-Dimensional Power Test.
- You can also set both FTP and 4DP numbers. Use a power meter standard turbo.
While all apps aim to track your ride, they differ from one another in terms of their functionality.
Some apps focus on structured training.
They provide you with detailed analysis and tools to help you track your indoor cycling.
Other apps offer an exciting virtual riding experience with video and simulated GPS routes and virtual gamified cycling.
If you are bored with your mundane indoor cycling routine, go ahead with one of these tracking devices and add some fun to your rides.
Heart Rate Monitor: To measure my heart rate accurately and effectively, it has to be the Wahoo TICKR. This is an incredible piece of fitness equipment that allows you to see just how well you’re performing on the bike by measuring your BPM, calories burned & heart rate zones you are in.
Cadence Sensor: To measure your cadence, I use the Wahoo RPM Cadence sensor. This little piece of equipment can be easily attached to your shoe or crank arm and delivers accurate pedalling metrics on how fast your legs are moving.
Power Meter Pedals: To measure my watts and power, I love the Favero Assioma Power Meter Pedals. You simply attach these to your bike’s crank arms, start pedalling and it will automatically pull in your speed, cadence and power output.
Personalized Nutrition: This necessarily isn’t a device however nutrition is very important to meet your fitness goals. Here I recommend Nutri-Genetix (NGX). NGX is a company I love working with that delivers personalized nutrition that is designed around my specific genetic makeup straight to my door. You’ll also get a 10% discount if you use my code CYCLEFROMHOME10.